Thursday, March 15, 2007

Daily Herald News Article

Ethridge Preacher Killed In Backhoe AccidentPosted on March 15, 2007From the Daily HeraldAn Ethridge pastor, known as a compassionate man with a talent for listening, was killed about 3:30 p.m. Tuesday in a backhoe accident on Old Highway 99.The Rev. Smokey Lamont McDonald, 54, pastor of the Freedom Hill Bible Methodist Church in Ethridge, was clearing land for the construction of a house, Maury County Sheriff Enoch George said.McDonald's backhoe loaders, the large shovel-like scoop on front of the backhoe was carrying a large tree limb that fell to the left, George said.“There are a couple of things that could have happened, but I believe the limb he was pushing rolled causing the tractor to fall over to the left,” George said. “When the backhoe fell over, Rev. McDonald was pinned under the cab’s roof.”McDonald’s torso appeared to have been crushed under the weight of the cab.“He was killed instantly,” George said.John Hilton, owner of Quality Contractors of Columbia, choked back tears as he talked about McDonald, who had worked for his company for about 10 years.“He was moving trash and digging a foundation for a house we were going to build out here,” Hilton said. “He was such a fine man.”That McDonald was a well-mannered and gentle man would be a sentiment amplified by other employees and friends.“He was always eager to help and was a respectful man,” Helen Ussery, another Quality Contractors employee said. “He was different than everyone else.”Ryan Matthews, owner of Custom Decking and one of McDonald’s parishioners said the pastor was one of his closest friends and possessed the talent of listening to young people.“He was a godly man,” Matthews said. “He was a friend to all.”Matthews said he was more than just a friend, he was “a good buddy.”“We hunted together, we had activities with the youth group,” Matthews said. “He had a knack of relating to young people. He was a great listener and understood youngsters.“He was our preacher for almost 20 years and also ran the Freedom Hill Bible Methodist Christian School,” Matthews said.“He was not just our preacher. He was my friend,” Matthews said.Maury County firefighters and EMS personnel worked for about an hour freeing McDonald from the heavy backhoe. His body was transported to Maury Regional Hospital.George said the man had two children who also work for Quality Contractors. His wife was in Kentucky at a religious conference.

6 comments:

JB said...

Your father must have been a wonderful person. Dan, I have lost both of my parents. Mother died instantly in an auto wreck in 1976 and she was hit head on by a drunk driver going in access of 85 miles an hour. My 7 year old daughter was in the car also but was spared. My father died a horrible death from cancer in the late 90s. It is never easy when a parent dies but the assurance that your father was ready to meet the Lord will give you GREAT PEACE and comfort. I love you and have you in my prayers, Janet

Brenda said...

Sorry to hear about your dad. Will be praying for you and your family during this difficult time!!!

Anonymous said...

Dan,just wanted to say sorry to hear about your Dad we will continue to pray for you and your family.may God comfort you in this time of sorrow.love and prayers,Nathan&Amy covert

Anonymous said...

Dan,
I was sorry to hear about your dad. I loved and appreciated him. I was in Mexico when I heard the news. I have been praying for you and Wes, Paula, Tim and you mom ever since I heard. The Lord will give you all strength and encouragement in the midst of it all. Let Wes know that we are praying for him!!!

Love and Prayers,
Michael Mason

Anonymous said...

Hey Daniel!
Saw you from a distance at your fathers funeral. It was a lovely service and you could feel that God was with us. I hope you are ok. I have been trying to locate your address. I have a card ready to send. Maybe you can write me at my email address and give it to me :)
It is Bellybutton19@juno.com. Take care, Buddy :0)
Your friend,
Valerie (Roush) Stinson :)

Anonymous said...

hey Daniel,
You and your family are in my prayers! God is so faithful and will give all the strength you will need!! Take care!